Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Is bigger better?

A recent question I felt was useful to share:

Question:

Hello! I'm looking into getting a biOrb and have found your blog very helpful! I was curious, do you think bigger is better? We are looking into getting the 16gal. biOrb (as we have restrictions, and can't go much wider or bigger, gallon size, in the place we're currently living in -gotta love landlords-). Just curious on your views. Also, for growing plants in the biOrb, do you need a different type of light? Or is the light that it comes with efficient enough to grow plants?

Thank you!


Answer:

Hi there, I've decided I will go with a Biorb 60 as my poor fishes have very much outgrown the 30.... and the B60 is easier to clean than a proper tank. If you are keeping goldfish though the B60 would only take about 2 max (Ideally you should keep only 1 goldfish in a B30). A bigger tank will mean that there's more water, so there's less risk of spikes in temperature / nitrates etc. Though the number of fish you can keep in a tank is ultimately determined by the water surface area (and hence more oxygen), more water does tend to relate to more oxygen being available to the fish.

The light that the Biorb comes with is not sufficient to grow plants well. The plants will survive a while but after a few weeks/months will start becoming yellow / stunted. OK though, if you plan to replace the plants every couple of months.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

"Though the number of fish you can keep in a tank is ultimately determined by the water surface area (and hence more oxygen), more water does tend to relate to more oxygen being available to the fish.". This isn't completely correct. As the biOrb filtration system is powered by air it has a higher level of disolved oxygen than traditional aquariums - see http://www.reef-one.com/technology/biorb-filtration-technology.html. Surface area is only a major consideration for traditional aquariums. The biOrb is unique in the way it works which means these old rules don't apply.

The biOrb is suitable for fancy goldfish. The filtration system is very effective and as goldfish produce a lot of waste it is powerful enough to deal with it.

View http://www.reef-one.com/technology/biorb-vs-alternatives.html for a comparison of different filtration methods.

10:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bigger is definitely better - I have a 4 gallon biorb fish tank I got from wwww.everythingbiorb.com and I wish I would have gotten a bigger one! I am just so limited with the fish I can put in the 4 gallon, wise choice to go with the 16 gallon.

8:11 pm  
Blogger cylche said...

Unsurprising that info supporting the biorb would be on website of the company that's making them! As they say in law, cui bono?

12:05 am  
Blogger bahamut285 said...

I was just wondering, I've heard lots of mixed reviews about goldfish in biOrbs and I wanted to ask you since you seem to have a good handle on fish care.

I have two small Comet Goldfish, one is about 1" (2.5cm) and the other is approaching 1.5" (around 4cm). I recently got a B30 (it's cycling right now) and I wonder if it is going to be appropriate for them?

I've heard horror stories on the forums about orandas dying, but orandas are HUGE compared to my Comets, so do you think they'll be okay?

Thanks!

4:45 am  
Blogger cylche said...

Hi Zoe, It will probably be OK for about a year if you change the water every week (about 10l of the water should do). Comets are outdoor goldfish so should ideally be in a pond or a large tank.

1:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home